By Earthling Concerned with some revision by Ethiopian Review. It was originally posted in 2009, but the list will remain be relevant for years and generations to come.
Below is a list of the most destructive world leaders in the last 100 years. I got most of the numbers from here and if you want more information on the person in question, just click on his name and Wikipedia will bring you up to speed. This list is obviously up for dispute considering how violent the last 100 years have been.
1. Mao Tse Tung (China), 1949-1976
- Deaths caused Under his watch: 14 to 43 million from starvation during the Great Leap Forward/Cultural Revolution.
2. Adolph Hitler (Nazi Germany), 1939-1945
- Total Deaths Responsible for: Over 46 million as a result of the Second World War.
- Including between 11 and 16 million systematic killings during the Holocaust.
3. Joseph Stalin (USSR), 1929-1953
- Deaths caused Under his watch: Approximately 20 million.
- Up to 14.5 million starved to death
- At leastone million executed for political offences
- Approximately five million sent to the “Gulag Archipelago” never to return alive.
4. Kim Il Sung (North Korea), 1948-1994
- Total Deaths Responsible for: About three million killed in the Korean Wars.
- At least One million needlessly starved to death due to the economic zeal of his regime.
5. Mohamed Suharto (Indonesia), 1967-1998
- Total Deaths Responsible for: Up to two million killed following a supposed coup attempt in 1965 Over 250,000 deaths following the Invasion of East Timor in 1975.
6. Pol Pot (Cambodia), 1975-1979
- Total Deaths Responsible for: One to three million (between a 1/4 and 1/3 of the population).
7. Théoneste Bagosora (Rwanda), April-July 1994
- Total Deaths Responsible for: Between 800,000 and 1,000,000 Rwandan’s in a period of four months.
8. Saddam Hussein (Iraq), 1979-2003
- Total Deaths Responsible for: Approaching 2 million.
- Up to 340,000 Iraqi and 730,000 Iranian combatants during the Iran-Iraq War.
- U p to 200,000 during the Gulf War
- Over 100,000 Kurds killed or “disappeared”.
- Up to 150,000 Shia Muslims and Iraqi dissidents killed during his reign.
9. Ante Pavelić (Croatia), 1941-1944
- Total Deaths Responsible for: 300,000 to 1,000,000.
- Up to 30,000 Jews
- Up to 29,000 Gipsies
- Between 300,000 and 600,000 Serbs
10. Omar al-Bashir (Sudan), 2003-Today
- Total Deaths Responsible For: Upwards of 400,000.
11. Meles Zenawi (Ethiopia), 1991-2012
- Total Deaths Responsible For: Upwards of 1,000,000 through genocidal wars he conducted in the Ogaden and Gambella regions of Ethiopia; death by disease in concentration camps; blockade of food; ordering the shooting of unarmed pro-democracy protesters; deploying human wave tactics in the war with Eritrea; invasion of Somalia where over 10,000 Somalis slaughtered, countless died of starvation and disease, over 2 million became homeless.